Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Imitation

The cutest thing happened the other day on Valentine’s Day.   I had a sweet friend and her two-year-old daughter come by with some valentine goodies.  She and the little girl were sitting with me at the table and the little girl was eating a cupcake.  Out of the blue she looked up with cupcake all over her mouth and said, “Love your house!”  It was so adorable.  She had a slight drawl when she said it.   Her mom started laughing and said I don’t know where she got that.  She didn’t remember saying that anywhere although my suspicion is that she has.  She possibly came up with that herself, but she more than likely was imitating what she had heard mom say or someone else close to her.  Imitation, the greatest form of flattery, is quite common with those whom we love and have spent much time.
Children look up to their parents.  They love without reservation and repeat behavior and language without even realizing they’re doing it.  The intimacy of relationship and pure amount of time spent listening and learning make it next to impossible not to mimic.  I find myself saying and doing things my mom said even now that I am much older and have raised my own children.  That mimicking, of course, is sometimes positive and sometimes not.
 It came to mind long ago when I would watch my children mimic me or their father that I want to be an imitator as well.  I want to have the kind of intimacy with the Lord Jesus that makes me mimic His life and Word without even thinking about it.   I want to be to the point of obeying and reflecting Him without even realizing I’m doing it.  What can get me there?
If I go back to children I see that spending time, lots of time, watching and listening in all situations we begin to imitate.  The only way to watch and listen to the Lord is spending that kind of time in His Word and in communion with Him.  I have come to realize how much the Lord uses His Word to renew my mind and spirit.  I have known that verse in Romans 12:1,2 for many years and have appreciated the truth there.  But, in the last few years, the reality of seeing my mindset and emotions truly converted to freedom in the Spirit has brought true understanding (at least a glimpse of it).   I appreciate the truth that I knew, but now KNOW.
The Word of God is THE instrument of true change in the Christian’s life.  It’s the way He trains us, guides us, gives us wisdom and teaches us how to think.  It’s a mirror to our soul in the way it reflects our sinfulness to our own eyes SO THAT we can give that very sinfulness to Him to change and transform.  What a God! What a Word! What a life He gives!  Oh, may I see Him with fresh eyes often!

3 comments:

  1. Mom, I LOVE that you're blogging and I'm excited to keep reading and be a part!
    1 Corinthians 11:1 Paul says "Be imitators of me as I am of Christ." We've been imitating you all our lives but in the latter years it has been because we know you're imitating Christ. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post and great reminder about our kids imitating us and us needing to imitate Christ! Any suggestions for how to get that time with Jesus and in the Word with a 2 year old running around? What I use to do just doesn't always seem practical anymore. Since you had 5 kids - you must have suggestions for us just entering into that phase with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alisha,
    I'm formulating a post to answer this question fully because I have had this question many times. In the meantime, I would say, "Do the best you can." Look for ways to spend time in Word, but also realize that your prayer connection is always there. Practice His presence by communing with Him all day thru the day. BUT, don't beat yourself up!! That little one that is taking your time is part of His instrument of training for you. More later. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete